Friday, September 3, 2010

Spain/Morocco

The ship is quite close to Cadiz right now, we're actually moving quite slowly to make sure we get todays full day of classes in (lame).  But I figured I'd let all know what my plans are for Spain and Morocco, and of course when I get back I'm sure I'll have a very long post on each updating everyone.  Spain I'm doing independent of Semester at Sea for the most part, where Morocco I'll be doing mostly through Semester at Sea.  Either way I can't wait to be on land and no classes for 10 days! 
 
Espana, arriving 0800 tomorrow (Sept. 4) morning:
I'm most likely getting up early to watch us roll into Cadiz, apparently the ship will be surrounded by the city itself, one of our better ports.  Tomorrow night I'll be doing the following SAS (Semester at Sea) trip:
 
Andalucian Flamenco Night, 1930-2300 Sept 4th
Head out to Chiclana(30 mins) and enjoy welcome drinks as you proceed to a small outdoor arena.  View an exhibition of spear cow taming, an amateur bullfight, and a horse and flamenco spectacle.  Proceed indoors for tapas and flamenco.  Costumed dancers a guitar accompanist begins the show, followed by a rest for the dancers and a second show where audience members are invited to participate.
 
The next morning I'm headed to Seville and staying the night of the 5th there.  We then head to Madrid on the 6th and stay the night, then to Barcelona on the 7th and stay for the night, returning to Cadiz on the 8th.  Most likely the trips will all be by train except for Barcelona to Cadiz, which we'll fly in order to save time and make sure we get back to the ship, which we have to be on by 1800 Sept 8th.
 
We get on the ship and the next day, Sept 9th, at around 1400 we arrive in Casablanca.  I'll be free that day, but the next morning (Sept 9th) I start my trip to Marrakech and a Nomad Camp overnight stay, so the itinerary follows:

Marrakech & Nomad Camp with Camel Trek 

Day 1: Depart by minibus to Marrakech (3-4 hours).  Upon arrival, you will have free time to explore the city.  In the evening, enjoy a Moroccan dinner with an Arabo-andalucian orchestra and a belly dancer show.

Day 2: Travel to Zagora (7-8 hours with no stops) in the magnificent Draa Valley.  A lunch stop will be made in Agdz, a village where the huge palm groves and Oued Draa (river) begin.  There will be a tremendous view of the Saharan world, including its dunes, oases and small mud villages.  Later enjoy dinner in a nomad tent before settling into camp for the night.

Day 3: In the morning, venture into the Sahara Desert on an early morning mehari (camel trek) with nomads.  Enjoy a last mint tea in the desert before returning to Marrakech.  The late afternoon and evening are free to explore the famous Jemma el Fna Square and other sites.  Dinner is on your own.

Day 4:  After breakfast, enjoy Marrakech on your own until you depart for your return to Casablanca.

 

I'm sure I'll have lots to share when I get back....