Monday, August 30, 2010

IM ON A SHIP!

So I know that's the most cliche title I could have, but oh well.  Right now I'm with 606 students from 250 some universities, 62 lifelong learners, and 67 faculty/staff.  I've met too many people to mention on here, but the ship is pretty neat.  It's very nice and modern, and looks more like a hotel.  Even my room wasn't as small as I was expecting it to be.  I guess there's two hurricanes going through the Atlantic right now, and even though we're avoiding those, it seemed as soon as the ship doctor when up to talk about motion sickness we hit some pretty big swells. 
 
I'm going to be involved in a few clubs on the ship.  Photo club is what I'm most excited about, they'll just give us tips on taking some amazing photos of each port before we get into it.  I'll be doing soccer and dodgeball as part of the intramural sports, and I'm joining my shipboard "family".  Basically they pair a group of students with a few life long learners or faculty and that group acts as a family while we're on the ship.  Have dinners together, plan an afternoon in port, Thanksgiving together, etc.  Life long learners are anywhere from 30 and up, but most are 60+.  They're cool and interesting.  They got to come up with a name for there own sea (think residence halls((not dorms)), so while I'm in the Red Sea and others are in Adriatic Sea, Aegean Sea, etc., they decided to name their own sea the "Tip Sea".  That alone means they're all awesome. 
 
I need to get lunch so I'm off, and I promise this will get more exciting once I get back from Spain and have lots to tell.